It’s been FOREVER since I last wrote a blog entry, and I am SO sorry! I have no excuses other than… you know… life, but I’m back and ready to jump back into the swing of things!
Before I get carried away, let me remind you all that Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, so definitely check them out if you’re interested. And with that, I’m going to go ahead and jump into this week’s topic.
The topic of the week is: Top Ten Favorite 2016 Releases So Far. I have been consciously trying to read more books from my TBR (remember the Mount TBR Challenge?), so I haven’t read too many 2016 releases, but I will also include a few books that I want to get to that have already come out, as well as some that I’m looking forward to that are coming out after this post goes up. Here goes!
2016 Releases I’ve Read (and LOVED)
- The Rule of Mirrors – Caragh M. O’Brien – I’ve talked about this before a bit; it is the sequel to The Vault of Dreamers, one my favorite reads of last year. It was a GREAT second book, especially considering how the first book ended. I won’t say much about it since it’s a sequel, but if you like YA psychological thrillers with a very cerebral feel, I suggest this series. The third and final book is HIGHLY anticipated on my end. (Rating: 4 stars/5)
- Morning Star – Pierce Brown – I have raved about the Red Rising trilogy enough here to last a lifetime, so I won’t go into detail, especially since this is the final book in the trilogy, but I *will* say – if you haven’t read this trilogy, I suggest you drop what you’re reading (unless it’s for school/work) and get to it! My review of the series is here. (Rating: 5stars/5)
- Lady Midnight – Cassandra Clare – This is the beginning of the third official series in the Shadowhunter world. You have most likely heard of this, even if you haven’t read it. It’s the beginning of a trilogy, but continuing a larger set of stories, so not too much detail here either, but I really enjoyed this book; more than I thought I would, honestly. There is one main theme/trope that I am OVER (especially from Casssandra Clare), but even though it’s a MAJOR plot point, the rest of the book more than made up for it. (Rating: 4.5stars/5)
2016 Releases that I Haven’t Yet Read, But Am Anticipating (Already Released)
- The Unexpected Everything – Morgan Matson – I have only read one Morgan Matson book (Since You’ve Been Gone), but I really like it, so I’m excited for this. I recently bought Second Chance Summer, so I’ll probably get to that before this one, but I’m still very ready for this one!
- Murder – Ella James – I read Sloth by Ella James (and yes, she is writing books based on the Seven Deadly Sins), and it was SO good. A very tiny bit convoluted because of all the twists and turns, but I like that, so I’m hoping there is a bit of that in this book as well. Which I’m 115% sure there will be.
- A House for Happy Mothers – Amulya Malladi – I haven’t heard anything about this book, but I have a Kindle, and participate in Kindle First monthly – basically you get a book that is being released soon for less than $4. I don’t remember what this one is about too much, but I know it’s set in India, and that alone makes me super excited. This was one of the books for May.
2016 Releases that I Am Anticipating (Not Yet Released)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child – J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany – Enough said. (Being released: July 31, 2016)
- Strange the Dreamer – Laini Taylor – I haven’t finished the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy (have only gotten to the 1st book so far), but it’s so well-written and increasingly interesting, so I’m definitely down to pick up this new Laini Taylor book. As always, the blurb basically tells us nothing. (Being released: September 27, 2016)
- Gemina – Amy Kaufman & Jay Kristoff – It took me awhile to get into Illuminae (Gemina is the sequel), but I flew through the last 2/3 of the book, and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. I hear we are following a new couple which doesn’t really make me happy, but I just… need it. So, yes. (Being released: October 18, 2016)
- Truly Madly Guilty – Liane Moriarty – She is an auto-buy author for me, and I can’t wait for this book to come out. She can really draw out a mystery, and generally in a way that is well-paced and the release of information is perfect (even though I get very impatient sometimes). (Being released: July 26, 2016)
So those are the 10 books on my list this week, and I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think about any of these books, as well as the books on your list. I look forward to hearing from you all, especially since it’s been so long…
Thanks all; catch y’all in the next one!